Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fleischer Brothers give chase to rain

From the weather outside my window, I believe we can all agree (at least in Portland) it's a cartoon kind a day. Here are two rarely seen Fleischer Brothers' films from the thirties


The first is about a hick couple at the World's fair from 1938





and the second is entitled "Dancing on the Moon" 1935, which features lots of. you guessed it, dancing on lunar surfaces:





One cool thing to take note of here is Fleischer's innovated use of the "stereoptic effects" used to achieve the highly realistic looking backgrounds. The studio would build models of the background and photograph them moving along with the actions of the cell animated critters. Pretty amazing effects, especially considering it was all done in the 1930's!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud...the only blogger with an occupation of time travels...

I need to see some o' your work.

I like it so far. Someday I'll let you read mine. Maybe.

- Unemployed in Carsonville